Sunday, June 25, 2006

Portland Head Lighhouse, ME




Portland Head Lighthouse claims to be the most photographed lighthouse in the world. I though I'd help out it's claim...

We saw very little of Portland, Maine but it seemed to be a pretty cool place to visit. I'd love to go back sometime when we're not on a whirlwind tour and spend more than 2 hours there.

There are several lighthouses in the area but we visited only the most famous one. It was comissioned by George Washington...so it's a little on the old side. We got there after it had closed. If you're going, plan to be there before 4 if you want to see the interior.

The whole place is stunning. Jagged cliffs, the ocean, lobster boats churning by. Watch out for the poison ivy and the sheer drops. There were a lot of people milling around which made it difficult to get decent shots but I think I got a few were putting on here. Let me know what you think
View from beside the lighthouse

No comments: